[Swarm-Support] packages seem up to snuff

From: Carlo C. Maley
Subject: [Swarm-Support] packages seem up to snuff
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:26:02 -0800

That machine has:
gcc 3.3
autoconf 2.57
automake 1.7.2
tcl
tk
zlib
libpng
blt

- Carlo

Paul E. Johnson wrote:

If you want to create a user account for me on your Suse system, I would be glad to log in and look around.

libffi is not required any more for swarm.

The autoconf messages mean that it cannot find autoconf and automake in your path. It may be you have automake15 or some such renamed thing.

You need autoconf-2.52 and automake-1.6.3, incidentally.

It looks like you are not using a separate build directory in your example below. That's not good.

You don't mention which gcc you have, but 3.2 generally does not work, but 3.3 does, and 3.0.x did.
pj

Carlo C. Maley wrote:

Well, this is what we've managed to do so far:

    * Installed all of the 'required packages' except libffi from
      RPM.  libffi appears to have been rolled into GCC now, but I
      can't find it any longer (I thought I saw a reference to it
      being deprecated).  Anyway, I installed that from the last
      source code tarball.
    * Downloaded swarm.
    * cd swarm-2.1.147.20030812
    * ./configure --with-default-dir=/usr --with-ffidir=/usr/local
    * make

make runs for awhile and comes back with the following:

    make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/swarm-2.1.147.20030812/src'
    make[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/swarm-2.1.147.20030812/src'
    Makefile:378: *** missing separator.  Stop.
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/swarm-2.1.147.20030812/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/swarm-2.1.147.20030812'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

Looking back through the output from make, I see that it issues warnings that 'automake' and 'autoconf' are missing on my system. Except, that they are installed. The warnings do note that they are only needed if I'm modifying some of the other files before I run configure. Anyway, that is the latest run. I have tried variations on this earlier. I also tried fiddling with the RedHat RPM, but the newer RPMs from RedHat really want to be installed on redhat. :-( One of the attempts, I did try 'aclocal;automake;autoconf', thinking that perhaps I could get a better configure input file. That didn't really work any better. In fact, configure failed before it would build the Makefile. I blew away the directory and re-extracted from the tarball each time to insure a clean build directory.

Any thoughts?

- Carlo
--
Carlo C. Maley, Ph.D.