Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm versus Java

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm versus Java
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:50:14 -0500

Just to clear up some terminology:

Swarm libraries are written in Objective-C. Swarm programs were originally (and can still be) written with Objective-C. Swarm programs can also be written in Java, using the Java native interface. I've also seen presentations by people who used C++ to access Swarm libraries.

On any platform where you have gcc and tcl/tk and blt, you can compile Swarm libraries and write programs in objective-C or java or whatever else you like.

pj

Tian, Jiang wrote:
Dear Everyone,

I just start to study Swarm. But I find any application in Swarm has to
be edited in class using Java language. As an object-oriented language,
Java can be directly implemented in various operation systems.

So in order to establish an application in Swarm, if we would have to
write all classes using Java, what the advantages Swarm versus Java - if
I complete the programmes in Java, I prefer to directly run the
application in any operation system, rather than in Swarm.

Thanks in advance