Re: [Swarm-Support] MacOS x86_64 and message forwarding

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] MacOS x86_64 and message forwarding
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:58:04 +1000

On 24/10/2006, at 3:51 PM, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

After several foiled attempts, I finally have working 64 bit X11R7 client libraries for MacOS X/Intel x86_64. I built the GCC trunk (now called 4.3.0), and then used 4.3.0 to build Freetype, Fontconfig, X11R7, Tcl, Tk, BLT, HDF5 and finally Swarm. Happily these Xeon 5100 Macs are fast! The remaining problem is avcall/libffi. Due to Apple assembler syntax differences neither builds for x86_64 MacOS X.

If anyone is interested in beating on the remaining details, let me know and I'll upload my 64 bit tree somewhere. Currently it is possible to link up a Swarm model and get a control panel, etc. Now it's a question of some focused debugging..

I was looking at doing a fat ppc/ppc64/i386 build. It seems easy enough to build tcl/tk/blt etc fat using Apple's compilers and their standard recipe for fat builds of autoconf projects. http:// developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html

AFAIK the avcall/libffi problem cannot be sorted for x86_64 because Apple have not released the documentation for the calling convention yet. It might be in the pre-release Leopard but I don't have it and it would under NDA in any case.

PyObjc contains the source files for ppc/ppc64/i386 libffi, but I have not yet figured out the standard libffi build system enough to get the new sources to build in the normal code tree.

I am not aware of any avcall ppc64 or i386 Darwin code.

Bill