Re: [Swftools-common] Swftools, PDF and HTML5

From: Yousif Masoud
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Swftools, PDF and HTML5
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 22:55:36 +0100

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 8:04 PM, Chris Pugh <address@hidden> wrote:
Yousif Masoud wrote:

> Sorry, I was saying the nature of the change is shocking me.  I meant
>the  way they're trying to induce change has totally surprised me.

I think they call it progress Yousif

I don't think what's happening is progress, but then again that's subjective.

I hope I haven't portrayed myself as an Adobe aficionado, I tried my best to make it clear that I have no affinity to any platform.

Look at video for example, if the VP8 codec is open sourced then I will not have a pressing need for H.264 hence, Flash will not be playing a major part in my video platform.

All I'm saying is this: I look forward to using HTML5, and if I'm going to switch to it, it should be on my own terms, not because some company says I have to.  If Scribd want to move to HTML5, great, but rather than bashing Flash in their presentation, why not just tell us why HTML5 is making their life better.  You notice the headlines are always talking about the demise of Flash, seriously, is that the only advantage so far?  I've stated before and I'll reiterate, the font argument is the only [partially] valid point I've seen so far.

Always catches you unawares  ;o)

I've been on this case since February when Apple Published it's interesting developer terms thing.  I'm not sure how I gave that impression :P Chris, I know what you're trying to say and I agree with it :)

Flash is a partially open standard!  It's much better than silverlight.  I concur with the majority that open sourcing Flash Player 10.1 would be a good move.

I'll try concluding by extricating my position on this mess: I want to see both HTML5 and Flash widely adopted.  I'm not happy about foul play.  If you develop an application in HTML5, just tell us about its benefits and key advantages, no need to bash other technologies.  Not supporting Flash on a device is bizarre.

As for me, I'll use the best tool for the job.  I don't suffer from the "affinity complex" [with one major exception, Linux].  I'm more than happy to switch platforms if there are sound technical reasons for doing so.  For document delivery, I have yet to see compelling technical reasons to consider a platform switch.