Re: [Synaptic-devel] gtk failure for synaptic.

From: Leendert Meyer
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] gtk failure for synaptic.
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 21:14:45 +0200

On Sunday 03 October 2004 19:33, Roy F. Cabaniss wrote:
> I keep getting a gtk failure when trying to use synaptic.
>
> -- (synaptic:6910): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 1827
> (gtk_widget_hide): assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
>
> using suse 9.1  (64 bit) I got apt and synaptic from suser-rbos on the gwdg
> site.  rpm'd them.  I have been doing the "xhost +localhost" bit for
> display but something isn't right (obviously).  I have anything I thought
> might be useful from the suse distribution disks in the gtk area including
> gtk2  but obviously something is not compatible here.
>

> It is probably pretty obvious.  Ideas/help?
>
> I have used apt and synaptic for quite a while on the 32 bit  platform but
> the 64 bit is evidently enough different that something is whacked in my
> setup.

I do not have experience with 64 bit, so this is a bit of a shot in the dark:

A few days ago I had a problem with the db package. Turns out that there are
two versions of glibc and db: i586 and i686. My glibc was the i586 version
and the db was the i686 version, a wrong combination. Removing the i686 db
package and installing the i586 one solved my problem.

Another shot: open a root konsole via <Alt>-<F2> with:

  kdesu konsole

and start synaptic from there.

Cheers,

Leen