Re: [Synaptic-devel] "Broken" package - How to suppress?

From: Chris Miles
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] "Broken" package - How to suppress?
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:31:49 +0100

Panu Matilainen wrote:

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 15:31, Chris Miles wrote:
The suggestions in http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net/faq.html#q26 did not work for me, skype_qt3_1 is still marked as "broken" in synaptic and will be removed if I "apply" any changes :-(

With /etc/apt/apt.conf:
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
RPM {
   Ignore { };
   Hold { "skype_qt3_1"; };

Hold doesn't help with broken dependencies but Ignore can help in
situations like this. Change the above to
RPM {
   Ignore { "skype_qt3_1"; };
}

..and apt+synaptic should stop complaining but that'll completely hide
the package from apt & synaptic.

Could I edit the dependency list (change qt3 to qt) or make a dummy package called "qt3" to satisfy the checks?

Sure you can make a dummy package which provides the required dependency
but it'd be better to fix the real package instead of trying to work
around it. Changing "qt3" to "qt" in the skype specfile and rebuild
shouldn't be too much work :) (assuming of course that source is
available)

RPM::Fake-Provides could be used for creating dummy provides entries as
well but it's an undocumented hack, not really recommended.

        - Panu -

Thanks Panu,

Skype is used by a couple of friends - I would prefer to use one of the SIP programs, so, no I don't have access to the source.

I've now learnt the trick that I need to do an "update" after changing apt.conf. Using
RPM {
 Fake-Provides { "qt3"; };
seems to do the trick. (I never could get Ignore to do anything).

Thanks to all for your help.

Chris
ps I'm also pressing the providers to produce a RH9 RPM.