texinfo-devel

Re: m4 lines handled everywhere?

From: Dumas Patrice
Subject: Re: m4 lines handled everywhere?
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 20:34:28 +0100

On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 11:07:51PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:

> Would it be reasonable to grab the output of your #line pass, save it in
> a temp file, and send that to texi2dvi?  Although, hmm, I foresee
> discrepancies with texi2dvi's crazy "tidy" options.  I guess we can't do
> that.

Another reason why it isn't possible is that, although removal of # happens
early, is that it nevertheless depends on Texinfo code expansion, for
@include files mostly.

Then, in the parser implementation everything is done in one pass.  # lines
are removed as soons as a file is read but the tree is in construction
at that point.  So it is not possible to separate -E, tree construction
and # lines removal, everything happens at once.

>     What about using the -E command line option of makeinfo/texi2any?
>
> What?  No, that has to stay expanding @macro's, even in its inevitably
> buggy (in texi2dvi) state.

As I said above it do not only expand @macro, it creates a full tree, and
then dump the tree as Texinfo code.