texinfo-devel

Re: m4 lines handled everywhere?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: m4 lines handled everywhere?
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 23:01:00 GMT

    @include files mostly.

Hmm.  I hadn't thought about that.  I see no way of reliably handling
@include files in texi2dvi, since there's no practical way to know what
files will be @included without running TeX, and there's no way to
intervene when a new file is read.  All I can do is remove #line from
the top-level file.  Perhaps it is better not to implement anything than
to implement something incomplete.  Then users would have to arrange
their processes so that #line isn't generated for texi2dvi, and the
problem is avoided.

OTOH, most manuals are just one file, so it could be helpful for them.

    # lines are removed as soons as a file is read

Ok, good.

    So it is not possible to separate -E, tree construction
    and # lines removal, everything happens at once.

Ok.

    As I said above it do not only expand @macro, it creates a full
    tree, and then dump the tree as Texinfo code.

Ah.  Now I think I understand better your suggestion.  So users could
run texi2any to do #line and @macro expansion, and pass the result to
texi2any.  With the proper --if options, that sounds like it would work
(and what I intended to implement in the first place, years ago, but it
never worked right).  I'll experiment with that.