texinfo-devel

Re: difficulties building from svn, missing help2man, segfault

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: difficulties building from svn, missing help2man, segfault
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 22:00:16 GMT

    do "info/ginfo --file ./doc/info.info" instead to open a file with
    that path.)

I believe that if the user gives a cmdline arg that is absolute or
"explicitly relative" (starts with one of / ./ ../, or is like
subdir/somename) it should be opened as the given file, and only as the
given file, no info directory searching.  That is obviously what the
user wants and expects.  Giving --file should not be required.

Furthermore, as I recall, Sergey implemented exactly this for 5.0 or 5.1
(after much discussion).  We updated the manual, which now describes it
that way.  See the description of --file in the Invoking Info node of
info-stnd.

Please add it to the new test suite, if not already there :).

thanks,