texinfo-devel

Re: [5516] first support for quoting node names

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [5516] first support for quoting node names
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 21:45:09 GMT

    This was in a file I prepared which used NUL BS [ node ... NUL BS ] to
    quote node names to see how well it worked.

Ah, makes sense.

    The only problem I can think of is if it somehow conflicts with an
    unusual character encoding.

I don't think any encoding screws around with DEL.  It's only 7 bits.
Even UTF-8 doesn't break it, though it had no compunctions about
breaking plenty of other things.  The pre-Unicode Japanese encodings
(shift-jis and the like) don't either, I believe (even though they
change two of the printable ASCII chars ... anyway ...)

    I expect I can keep the implementation of quoting to a couple of
    functions where it can easily be turned off or changed to whatever
    method  is finalized upon.

Sounds good.

Let's await your write-up for the manual before making final decisions.
I often find that trying to carefully document something leads to new
questions or considerations.

thanks,
karl