texinfo-devel

Re: [5647] display dir entries on a single line

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: [5647] display dir entries on a single line
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 00:04:33 +0100

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 10:52 PM, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Gavin,
>
>     display dir entries on a single line
>
> What changed behavior should I be seeing?  I can't tell from the
> ChangeLog what is really happening.  Certainly when I run info now there
> are still entries on two lines (and I'm not sure it's a good idea to try
> to do anything but what the dir file has, anyway).

This is only when the preprocess-nodes variable is on. Taking the dir
entries from texinfo as an example, the dir file looks like this:

Texinfo documentation system
* Info: (info).                 Documentation browsing system.
* Standalone info program: (info-stnd).
                                Standalone Info-reading program.
* Texinfo: (texinfo).           The GNU documentation format.
* install-info: (texinfo)Invoking install-info.
                                Update info/dir entries.
* makeinfo: (texinfo)makeinfo Preferred.
                                Translate Texinfo source.
* texi2dvi: (texinfo)Format with texi2dvi.
                                Print Texinfo documents.
* texindex: (texinfo)Format with tex/texindex.
                                Sort Texinfo index files.

(hope the formatting looks okay in the email). Notice that the
descriptions like "Print Texinfo documents" have been put on a second
line because there wasn't room for them in one line. Then hiding the
destination text it looks like:

Texinfo documentation system
* Info                         How to use the documentation browsing system.
* Texinfo                      The GNU documentation format.
* info stand-alone
                                Read Info documents without Emacs.
* infokey
                                Compile Info customizations.
* install-info
                                Update info/dir entries.
* makeinfo
                                Translate Texinfo source.
* pdftexi2dvi
                                PDF output for Texinfo.
* pod2texi
                                Translate Perl POD to Texinfo.
* texi2dvi
                                Print Texinfo documents.
* texi2pdf
                                PDF output for Texinfo.
* texindex
                                Sort Texinfo index files.

This change makes it look like:

Texinfo documentation system
* Info                          How to use the documentation browsing system.
* Texinfo                       The GNU documentation format.
* info stand-alone              Read Info documents without Emacs.
* infokey                       Compile Info customizations.
* install-info                  Update info/dir entries.
* makeinfo                      Translate Texinfo source.
* pdftexi2dvi                   PDF output for Texinfo.
* pod2texi                      Translate Perl POD to Texinfo.
* texi2dvi                      Print Texinfo documents.
* texi2pdf                      PDF output for Texinfo.
* texindex                      Sort Texinfo index files.

(This should be lined up in a monospace font.) It is keeping the
screen column from the dir file but shifting the descriptions up to
the previous line.

I'm not sure what the best name is for the preprocess-nodes variable,
by the way. Maybe it should be "hide-notes-references" to match up
with emacs?