texinfo-devel

Re: [5647] display dir entries on a single line

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [5647] display dir entries on a single line
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 22:16:21 GMT

    the dir file looks like this:

Only if someone (distro?) decided to change things.  The entries I wrote
and that are actually in our manuals are all one line -- not by
accident.  As far as I'm concerned, it's perfectly plausible to always
dir entries on one line and just laziness not to.  I've suggested
rewrites to many packages to accomplish this.

    because there wasn't room for them in one line.

There is room if the alignment at column 32 is not insisted on, which is
what I did in the manuals.  To my eyes it is vastly more readable to
keep things on one line than worry about the description column.

    * Info                         How to use the documentation browsing system.

Losing the manual name is a big big loss IMHO.

    I'm not sure what the best name is for the preprocess-nodes variable,
    by the way. Maybe it should be "hide-notes-references" to match up
    with emacs?

Sorry, I missed this whole thing, was it discussed somewhere?  I greatly
dislike the whole "new" Emacs approach of hiding stuff in the info file
to "improve" readability.  To my mind, it is a misfeature that should
never have been implemented.  Info files are not meant to be parsed and
displayed that way.

But I guess you already did the work, so fine.  I know plenty of people
like to screw up their Info reading in this way.  I have no opinion
about the variable name.