texinfo-devel

Current trunk fails to build on MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Current trunk fails to build on MS-Windows
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 17:14:32 +0200

Like this:

  gawk -f ./jrtangle ./ti.twjr || rm -f texindex.awk
  gawk: ./jrtangle:173:   Chunk_info[Current_chunk]["type"] = Chunk_type
  gawk: ./jrtangle:173:                            ^ syntax error
  gawk: ./jrtangle:193:   Chunk_info[Current_chunk]["type"] = Chunk_type
  gawk: ./jrtangle:193:                            ^ syntax error
  gawk: ./jrtangle:312: fatal: 4 is invalid as number of arguments for split
  sed -e 's,address@hidden@],d:/usr/share/texinfo,g'  -e
's,address@hidden@],gawk,g'  -e 's,address@hidden@],texinfo,g'  -e
's,address@hidden@address@hidden@]*,5.2dev,g' <texindex.awk >texindex.awk-tmp
  /bin/sh: texindex.awk: No such file or directory
  Makefile:1621: recipe for target `texindex.awk' failed
  make[2]: *** [texindex.awk] Error 1

Does jrtangle need a newer Gawk?  If so, we should test for that
during configure, and set AWK to the proper value.  (As it happens,
the version of Gawk I have in my MSYS installation is quite old
(3.1.7), but I do have a newer Gawk later on PATH, so the configure
script could have found it.  But instead it just said:

  checking for gawk... gawk

Of course, if it's possible to modify jrtangle such that it works with
older versions of Gawk, that'd be even better, as it would prevent the
"installation hell", where upgrading Texinfo also requires to upgrade
unrelated packages, just to have Texinfo built.

But that's not all of the story.  Once I say

  make AWK=/path/to/newer/gawk

I'm greeted with this:

  /d/usr/bin/gawk -f ./jrtangle ./ti.twjr || rm -f texindex.awk
  chmod: cannot access `texindex.awk': No such file or directory

And what I have instead of texindex.awk is texindex.awk.tangle_tmp.

It looks like jrtangle wants _both_ a new Gawk, and a Gawk that can
invoke arbitrary Unix shell commands via the 'system' function.  And
that I don't have, sorry (this is MS-Windows, remember?).  So I'm
stuck; looks like jrtangle is not really portable to anything
non-Posix, which is too bad.

Any fire escapes out of this conundrum?  E.g., how about some more
portable way of renaming the output of jrtangle, than just using ugly
shell commands inside an Awk script?

TIA