Re: [Texmacs-dev] Patches for stable branch (was: Some applied patches)

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Patches for stable branch (was: Some applied patches)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:50:26 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, David Allouche wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 11:28:16PM +0100, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > I just applied patches 2643 and 2645 for the CVS version.
> > David: please remove the patches which have been applied correctly;
> > I did not reexamine the remaining ones yet.
>
> Many patches which were recently applied in HEAD are in my opinion
> relevant to the stable branch too. I have created "Apply Stable" and
> "Apply Both" Actions to mark patches which should be applied on the
> stable branch.
>
> I will close patches whose application has been confirmed in HEAD and
> whose Action is "Apply Stable" after you have either applied them on the
> stable branch or stated that you will not.
>
> As previously said by Stephane (and agreed on by you), the stable branch
> should take bugfixes, features which does not break anything, and new
> features which are clearly marked as such. Actually I was a bit more
> conservative than that and only marked bugfixes and translation updates
> as "Apply Stable".
>
> Well... if you were using arch, I could just apply the relevent patches
> in an integration branch and ask you to star-merge. That would be much
> easier to everyone.

For the moment, I agree to merge bugfixes into the stable branch.
We'll see for feature enhancements later on. I propose the following
strategy: whenever a bunch of bugfixes has been accepted for
the development branch and the fixes are clearly OK or no new problems
are signalled by users within a reasonable time, you make a big patch
for me with all the fixes together and mark it on Savannah as such
(so that I can clearly distinguish such patches from the others).
I will then do my best to apply the super-patch in reasonable time.