[Texmacs-dev] Re: installing new texmacs versions with ubuntu

From: Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: installing new texmacs versions with ubuntu
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 06:57:49 -0400

<posted & mailed>

Marie-Francoise Roy wrote:

> Hi
>
> Version 1.0.6.14 of Texmacs is incluced in my Ubuntu distribution and
> this is what I installed a few months ago.
>
> I received info from freshmeat that new Texmacs versions are available
> apparently 1.0.7.2-1 is the latest one, but I do not know how to proceed
> to install it
>
> On the Texmacs site it is said "Ubuntu <http://www.ubuntu.com/> is based
> on Debian <http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/download/linux.en.html#debian>
> "unstable", and therefore contains TeXmacs. You can (probably) install
> an up-to-date TeXmacs from Debian "experimental"",  but Debian
> "experimental" does not work

I am part of the texmacs packaging team for Debian. The best way to see what
debian has is to go to

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=texmacs

Now you should see that Debian Sid (unstable) has texmacs 1:1.0.7.2-1 . If
you are looking for the latest released versions, chances are that you will
find them either in experimental or in unstable.

To access packages in unstable distribution add

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free

To access packages in experimental distribution add

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free

to your /etc/apt/sources.list . Then run

apt-get update
apt-get install texmacs

This should work seemlessly. If there are any problems, please let us know
(through this mailing list). If you are successful, then also please let us
know. That way we know whether the updating process works or not on Ubuntu.

hth
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi