Re: [Texmacs-dev] Running without a GUI plus other ideas and tasks

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Running without a GUI plus other ideas and tasks
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 14:43:24 +0100

Dear Miguel,

>   Any comments? One very welcome suggestion indeed would be another task to
> focus on, sufficiently uncoupled from the main development process as to
> make it something I can encompass without being totally absorbed in it,
> which I can't afford. There are a couple of things that I'd also like to
> have in TM for my daily use, namely graphical configuration of shortcuts (to
> quickly fix those that don't work for some reason or other) and better image
> support (scaling, embedding, eps bugs fixing, etc.), but they look pretty
> daunting to me. Maybe not the first, if I convince someone (<cough>) to
> explain to me how the keyboard shortcuts system works.

Thanks for your patches and willingness to contribute to TeXmacs.
I will send a few emails with our current roadmap for those things where
help would be very useful for us, and some further issues.

As to the things that you mention:

  * Graphical configuration of shortcuts: yes would be nice and similarly
    for TeXmacs macros, but it would be better to schedule this a bit later
    in the current reorganization of the GUI.

  * Image scaling: some keyboard shortcuts have been introduced lately,
    and the upcoming focus bar (see upcoming email) could contain
    input fields for specifying width, height, etc. On the other hand,
    direct graphical scaling with the mouse will have to wait a bit longer,
    even though this is also on our list (see upcomong email).

  * Image support: yes, I also experienced many bugs recently. I found out that
    some modifications made by David Michel last year introduced a lot of bugs.
    Please look at image_files.cpp and in particular image_size,
    with many #ifdefs. Especially figures with a non trivial offset
    are displayed wrong, and even wrong in different ways
    on different OS' and different GUIs (X11, Qt, ...).

  * Calling TeXmacs without an active display or GUI, e.g. for command line
    conversions TeXmacs -> Pdf: important, but not a good time to do now.

Best wishes, --Joris