[Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs meeting in Portugal

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs meeting in Portugal
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 23:01:07 +0100

Dear all,

The first international TeXmacs workshop has taken place last week
in Albufeira Portugal. It has been a very fruitful and unique experience
to have many of the main developers and power users of TeXmacs meet together,
and I hope that we will find funding for organizing similar meetings
in the future. One group picture:

http://magix.lix.polytechnique.fr/magix/workshop/workshop-participants.en.html

More pictures should be available from the same site later this month.

The workshop featured several talks, most of which have been recorded and
will be diffused as soon as we will be done transferring and transcoding them.
We also had various interesting discussions on the future of TeXmacs,
on the topics where other people wish to contribute,

    http://magix.lix.polytechnique.fr/magix/workshop/workshop-feedback.en.html

and on how this collective process might be organized in a more efficient way.

After a lot of thinking this week, I have come to the conclusion that
an efficient solution might be as follows:

  * We constitute a core of TeXmacs developers and other people who wish
    to contributor in some way (to the documentation, promotion,
    organization, etc.). Each of the members of this TeXmacs team
    will have a small webpage on texmacs.org which explains
    their intended activities in the project.

  * We constitute a list of priorary tasks. Each of these tasks should
    be well described and include all the organization around the task
    (maintaining the list of participants, related webpages, possible
    places where to discuss things, etc.). We will search one leader
    for each task, who takes the responsability to carry out the task
    as well as possible.

I have made the basic skeleton with a few examples available at

    http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/contribute/contribute.en.html
    http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/contribute/task-videos.en.html
    http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/contribute/team.en.html
    http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/contribute/team-joris.en.html

Please tell me what you think about this idea; it is not too late
to come up with a better plan!

Best wishes, --Joris

-----
P.S.: I am still processing an avalanche of email from last week and
will also contact many of you in private concerning more precise plans,
if that is not already done.