tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] New Debian Dxpedition Disk available (floppy anyone?)

From: Rein Couperus
Subject: [Tlf-devel] New Debian Dxpedition Disk available (floppy anyone?)
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:44:45 +0100

Hello folks,

due to several requests from the contest community I have  updated the DDD.
I have decided to use the KDE desktop again, as that is my know-how base for
the moment. For XCFE I would have to maintain a second set of start-up and
parametrizing scripts, and I am basically a lazy person. Moreover it should
not be very difficult for someone to DIY a lightGUI or NoGUI version from
this example...

After using it for considerable time and under totally different circumstances
I have been able to improve its flexibility considerably. Of course I have
come across some hardware that lacked a USB connection :)

It is now possible to use it on laptops and desktops having:
- CD+USB
- CD+Floppy, no USB, no Network
- CD+Network, no USB, no floppy

The CD is the same for all 3 variants.

For the USB stick you untar the archive tlf-morphix.tar.gz on the stick
and boot....

For the floppy you put the same file onto the root of the 1st harddisk
(normally C:\; DON'T UNZIP IT AS WINDOW$ CORRUPTS THE SCRIPTS!!),  and untar
the archive tlf-morphix-floppy onto the root of the floppy. As this file is
only 2k, you have place for 17.000 qso's on the floppy, which should be
enough for most contests!!

For  Network-only operation, adjust the parameters in the tlf-morphix.tar.gz
file first, tar.gz it and put it on the root of the first hard drive. Logging
is via the network (have a central tlf server in the network somewhere :).
Parameters changes are volatile... (no free lunch, sorry).

And for those special cases where you are NOT allowed to touch the hard drive
at all (although tlf-morphix will NEVER write to it), tlf-morphix will get
the tlf-morphix.tar.gz file from the CD....

That's it. The rest is automagic.

Oh, and don't forget to personalize the scripts!!

Why not mount the harddisk r/w in the first place? Well you never know, it
might be NTFS, and the most important aspect is SAFETY!!!

Updates (new versions of tlf, cwdaemon) can be done by changing  the
tlf-morphix.tar.gz file!

The programs and libraries have all been updated. Tlf-0.9.21, cwdaemon-0.9,
Hamlib3. Download via the DDD web page at:
http://home.iae.nl/users/reinc/dxpedition_disk.html

Hope some of you like it so it was worth the effort...

73,

Rein PA0R

P.S: who writes a FOOL-PROOF 'how-to-use, do's and don'ts' for this one?

--
address@hidden or address@hidden
http://www.couperus.com