tramp sticks at "Setting shell prompt"

From: e jobby
Subject: tramp sticks at "Setting shell prompt"
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:23:46 +0000

Hi,

I'm trying to get tramp (ver 2.1.8) up and running in xemacs (vers 21.4.15 with latest xemacs-base package). I am connecting from a linux machine to another linux machine (both redhat-like) with the remote account running zsh.

When i request a remote file in xemacs I use the following syntax:

C-x C-f  /[address@hidden]/path/file

or I even specify the scp or ssh protocols:

C-x C-f /[ssh/address@hidden]/path/file

The xemacs session then requests a password, and after entering the password it runs through several checks that fly by too fast for me to read. It gets as far as the following messages:

Waiting for /bin/sh to come up
Initializing remote shell
tramp: Setting shell prompt

After this the entire xemacs session freezes.

Any ideas what might be going wrong? Being a complete newbie, I'd appreciate any hints and tips that assume very little knowledge on my part!

Thanks