Re: tramp (2.1.16-pre); backtrace for windows connection problem

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.16-pre); backtrace for windows connection problem
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 15:31:56 +0100

Dave Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

Hi dave,

>> Okay, you should be able to ssh into luannocracy.com, port 49223, user
>> "albinus."  Let me know if that fails to work for any reason.

Sorry, I should have replied earlier, but I'm totally occupied at work.

You can disable the accout, I'm ready with test.

> Okay, I think you can stop working on this and simply add to your
> documentation:
>
>   "Tramp (like sshfs, incidentally) doesn't work with WinSSHD.  Use Cygwin
>   OpenSSH instead"
>
> Sorry for the big time-waster!

I still don't understand what happens. When I apply the commands from
Tramp's trace in a shell, everything is fine. When doing the same with
Tramp, I'm blocked (as you). Quitting the communication, I see as reply
from the "env ... PS1= ..." command:

/c/Documents and Settings/albinus

(which is my home directory on your machine). Not the prompt, as defined
in PS1. That's why Tramp is blocked, because it is looking for the prompt.

I have no idea, why your machine does not return the correct
prompt. Maybe it is due to a wrong $TERM setting, but even adding
"TERM=dumb" to the "env ..." command does not help.

Yes, maybe we must simply accept this. Tramp has also problems with
cygwin when using it's ssh command, so it might be a more general
problem on that platform. Are you able to access a cygwin sshd?

Btw, since since your machine runs MS Windows, you might try to connect
it via the smb method ...