ututo

Re: [UTUTO-GNU] Distribution Packaging Collaboration

From: Pablo Manuel Rizzo
Subject: Re: [UTUTO-GNU] Distribution Packaging Collaboration
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 08:48:23 -0300

On 6/23/07, Abdur-Rahman <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi All!

My name is Abdur-Rahman Morgan. I have been using gNewSense and BLAG for

Hi Abdur

about several months and I enjoy both distributions. I notice that both
distros carry their own variety of packages. Is there any method by
which both distros in addition with Ututo, could combine efforts for:

1). Freedom Verification. I see that gNewSense is currently actively
working on this and think that it is important for all the GNU/Linux
Distributions to maintain that each package is in fact free. Is there

UTUTO is working on it since 2003, it was the first project verifying
that all packages in it's repository be 100% Free Software. We have a
forum where we can discuss every package. Have you got a better idea?

any method by which we could make sure at least all the distributions
have at least all the same packages because I see that some programs
that are available in gNewSense are not available in BLAG.

I don't think so... we have a project called "universal packages" but
we are still searching for an efficient mechanism for this (the bad
way is already there)

I have not
used Ututo as of yet, but imagine that it will have some difference as well.

You better give it a try, it's not better than others, but you should see it.

*Would it be correct to say that all the packages in the Free Software
Directory are considered free and that all other packages would just
need to be verified.

No, it wouldn't. The FSD lists only a minimal subset of the existing
Free Software, it would be better to look at the licence of each
package and look for it in the Licences List here
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/
Any packages with unlisted licence must be verified.

Also, in our package management systems, would we
be able add a method to categorize packages by their license
specifically, so that we know that only Free Licenses are in the
distributions.

Every package in the UTUTO's repository reports it's license.

I don't get your idea about how the three projects could collaborate
on this issues, have you a specific proposal?

PD: sorry for my bad english, hope you undertand what I mean...

--
Pablo Manuel Rizzo
Aunque supiera que el mundo se acabará mañana,