Re: [vile] WinVile - weird behavior when moving cursor with mouse

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] WinVile - weird behavior when moving cursor with mouse
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 16:44:59 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 05:40:07 -0500 (EST)
Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
One thing I've noticed is that moving the cursor with the mouse to a
new line tends to leave cursor droppings behind, i.e., eventually you
end up with black blotches scattered around the screen until you do
a CTRL-L to clean it up.

yes - I recall commenting on it a while back, and spending some time
to try to resolve it.  I think it's due to the logic which grabs the
text-cursor (termed the "Caret"), as it's used in fshow_cursor and
fhide_cursor.  If the cursor isn't hidden, then it would leave a more
noticeable trail - it's been a couple of years since I last dug into it.

I paid more attention today and noticed that droppings only appear if,
for some reason unknown to me, the cursor block disappears.  After that,
even moving the cursor with h-j-k-l leaves a trail.

vile does hide the cursor when it's doing certain types of updates, e.g.,
the status line.  I hadn't noticed a pattern actually...

I can't imagine why the cursor should disappear, but it does.  One of the
vagaries of WinBlows, I suppose.

It could be that vile's hiding the cursor to do some update, and there's
some events coming along which confuse it (thinking that there's only
keyboard input and refresh-events for the screen-updating).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net