[vile] Is there any easy way to timeout a vile session?

From: Chris Green
Subject: [vile] Is there any easy way to timeout a vile session?
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 18:19:41 +0000

I want to get a vile edit session to timeout.

I have a script that decrypts a file and feeds it into vile for
viewing or editing.  I want to get vile to exit after, say, five
minutes so I don't leave the file on view on my screen.

At the moment I can't work out a neat way of doing this.  A 'kill -15'
of vile generates various errors and, worse, a pop-up message.  A
'kill -9' is quieter but seems a bit drastic.

What would be nice would be a way to fire off something in the
background within vile that would exit after the timeout.

Any ideas?

--
Chris Green