Re: [vile] Is there any easy way to timeout a vile session?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Is there any easy way to timeout a vile session?
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 14:39:18 -0400

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 06:19:41PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> I want to get a vile edit session to timeout.
>
> I have a script that decrypts a file and feeds it into vile for
> viewing or editing.  I want to get vile to exit after, say, five
> minutes so I don't leave the file on view on my screen.
>
> At the moment I can't work out a neat way of doing this.  A 'kill -15'
> of vile generates various errors and, worse, a pop-up message.  A
> 'kill -9' is quieter but seems a bit drastic.
>
> What would be nice would be a way to fire off something in the
> background within vile that would exit after the timeout.
>
> Any ideas?

not offhand:

vile doesn't run its own background tasks.  The signal handlers are built-in
(not scripts).

vile uses the same (imdying) handler for signals that are supposed to kill it.

The "kill -15" is the usual route, but tells it to (attempt to) save modified
buffers as if it had died, anyway.  A "kill -9" does prevent it from trying
save...

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net