web-hurd

Re: RFV: Help authoring KC Debian Hurd

From: Zack Brown
Subject: Re: RFV: Help authoring KC Debian Hurd
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 09:21:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Jeff Bailey wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 08:53:07AM -0700, Zack Brown wrote:
>
> > Do you mean you want to mirror the Cousins at gnu.org? That would be very
> > interesting, especially since the project is designed to allow mirrors to
> > specify their own layout. So, theoretically, a cron job could download the
> > (pseudo) XML, and compile it into regular gnu.org pages.
>
> That sounds lovely.  I'll flag this as a TODO for me.  I'm starting to
> thump on the hurd pages pretty shortly.  We have an email list
> address@hidden (Mailman controlled if you need more email, archived if
> not <grin>) so I'll start to work with those folks on this.
>
> > I'd be willing to do this myself but I'd need several things:
> >
> > *) rsync access and a lot of disk space, so I could quickly upload new pages
> > to the site
>
> I can do this.  Do you prefer kerberized rsh or ssh for the underlying
> protocol?

ssh please

> Note that if you keep stuff in a CVS repository, I can rsync that off of
> you and do updates from that.

at the moment, for all practical purposes there is no CVS repository (i.e.
there is, but it's internal to Linuxcare).

> > *) information on the gnu.org layout style, so I could compile the pages
> > properly.
>
> I don't mind doing this if you're too busy, but otherwise I'll get the
> information to you a touch later.

If you'd *like* to try downloading and compiling the pages yourself, that
would be the first time anyone had attempted it. I'd have to publish the
latest version of the compiler (and it is not a thing of beauty, I have to
admit). Still, it would be preferable to me uploading compiled pages, just
because it would keep me from being even more of a bottleneck than I already
am. But I don't want to dump a big pile of ugly work in your lap. I'm happy
to rsync for now.

> > *) I'd rather mirror the entire project as a whole, because this would be
> > easiest for me, as opposed to just KC Debian Hurd. If that's not possible,
> > then it would probably be best to set up the cron job at gnu.org to copy
> > only the texts desired.
>
> Well, I'm only really interested in the Hurd stuff.  I'm trying to avoid
> linking off to other sites, 'cause I don't always notice links going away.

That's fine. Compiling the pages yourself would proabably be best then. Note
that there are postgres tables involved, and it'll be interesting to see the
differences in the data on the partial site, from the data on the full
site...

no problems so far.

> > *) one day the cron job might become necessary anyway, if I run out of time
> > to do it by hand each time.
>
> cron is good...  Sweet, sweet cron (Appropriate Homer Simpson noise...)
>
> > Is any of this similar to what you had in mind?
>
> Yup!
>
> > BTW: any interest in writing thread summaries? It's fun and healthy!
>
> Not at all, but thanks for the offer! =)

my pleasure ;-)

> Seriously, I'm swamped with what I've taken on so far, but I'd be really
> excited to get this type of information up there.
>
> I'll email you soon.

OK so...

I *think* we're heading toward you cronning stuff over and compiling it
yourself? Yes? If so, I'll be happy to help, and to hear about the rough
spots so I can smooth them out.

Be well,
Zack

--
Zack Brown, Linuxcare, Inc.
tel: 1-415-354-4878x284, fax: 1-415-701-7457