web-hurd

Re: linking to savannah

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: linking to savannah
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 00:07:25 +0100

At Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:40:40 +0100 (MET),
ams wrote:

> Will something like this do?  I was thinking that we could add a new
> file called savannah.html, with some quick information about what each
> section is supposed to be used for etc.  That hasn't been written yet.

It's a good idea.

> When that is done, we could remove the "source code" sections
> completely.  What do you think?

I disagree with that.  People are generally not looking for technical
features "CVS", "Savannah", but for whatever they want "how do I
report a bug?", "where do I get the source code?", "how do I install
it?".  So, the logical structure of the whole thing should take this
into account.  Basically, you have to map the expectation of the
audience to the available set of features (in the technical
implementation).

Still, it's a good idea to have an intermediate page that explains
users what Savannah is and why and how we use it.  It should also put
it into relationship with the mailing list (and offer the option to
just use email to the lists instead of worrying with the complex
savannah interface).

Then you can make the savannah button into the side menu, as I
suggested it (simply as a button), and drop the sub-menu entries.
They will then be part of the TOC of our savannah explanation page,
and we can link to that page from the other sections as needed.

Thanks,
Marcus