xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] Promotion and piece menus

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Promotion and piece menus
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 15:38:04 -0700

Hi

On 04/08/2011 03:03 PM, h.g. muller wrote:
> At 11:24 8-4-2011 -0700, Arun Persaud wrote:
>> I think the biggest issue is still that this won't be obvious to someone
>> who is using xboard for the first time...
>
> I think this should not be an issue at all. I think it is really bad policy
> to tailor our design to people who are to lazy to read the manual.
> This is supposed to be an advances feature.

I don't agree... I think this would be a great default feature and I
also think we should be able to come up with a userinterface that works
for everyone... and I agree that people should read the manual, but the
reality is that only a very small percentage will actually do it...

> A second point is that you really underestimate how complicated it is
> to implement what you are proposing. For starters, we would need to make
> a few hundred new pixmaps...

hmm, is it really that hard? the mouse picture would be a transparent
background which gets overlayed by a grayed version of the piece... we
would just generate the hundreds of pics by a script and not by hand of
course or the easier way: we just use existing ones and don't bother
generating extra ones (I would prefer this one)... say we use existing
ones 1-2 sizes smaller. Then we only have to add the right hand mouse
handle you already wrote and activate it only after a piece has been
selected by left clicking... would it be easy to implement this without
using extra graphics? Might be nice to try it out for real, perhaps the
whole concept doesn't work once you try it out ;)

> I did try out my 'simplified' idea, but I do not like it as much as I
> thought.
> It is very complex to have it interact with one-click moving (which
> basically
> needs to keep using the old method), and it somehow doesn't feel natural.
> For those who want too try it: it is in the latest commit of the
> hgm.nubati.net
> popups branch. (But don't push it to Savannah master! I am more inclined
> to completely discard it. But I would like to have opinions on it.)

will give it a try, but I'm busy the next few days...

ARUN