xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] new developer release

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] new developer release
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 19:14:31 +0100

I tried out the download for WinBoard (OK) and XBoard, when built in a virgin directory. The result for XBoard unfortunately looks awful. The browse buttons in the dialogs are so high that they overlap with the next line. I never had that before, but after building the new one, my old binary had this problem too. (Byrial complained about this earlier,
but so far I never succeeded in reproducing it.)

Turns out it was the settingsfile specifying fonts that masked this problem for me, so far. For testing the developer release, I renamed the old user settings file (~/.xboardrc) to get it out of the way. And that makes the look quite different: text is apparently supposed to be much higher, and this is obvious from the spacing in the menus and the height of buttons.
I suppose it figures that it must be large enough to accomodate Chinese...

Problem is that the text widgets do not scale similarly, (and I don't know why). As the dialog layout is determined by spacing the text-edits with respect to each other, the buttons
will overflow into the next line.

I fixed this by getting the height of the board-window message widget (which is a label widget, which apparently gets the same height as a button), and request that height for the text edits too. This restores the layout of the dialogs, but makes the text-edits too large for the text. And unlike buttons, they don't center the text, but v-align it to top. I guess they do this because they don't realize that the text will never be multi-line. I could bot find a way to center it vertically. So it looks a bit weird, but not as bad as overlapping buttons,
and it functions.

Due to the large widget height the checkboxes in the dialogs were displayed too much above the label texts (they v-aling with the top of the following label widget, and have a quite small hight to begin with. So I moved them down by defining a dummy borderless
label widget above them. (I did not know another way.)

This works, but perhaps the opposite strategy (force the button / label heights to that of the text-edits, rather than vice versa) would have given a better result. It could break proper
operation in other languages, though, e.g. Chinese, so I did not dare to do it.

Anyway, I pushed a flood of commits to Savannah-master. Apart from the layout there were some configuring problems as well (masked so far by my settings file): the textures need explicit switching on, and not having the -firstChessProgramNames initialized
exposed a bug (crash) in comboboxes, which could not handle empty menus. So now
I configured a list with 4 engines in the xboard.conf master file, and also fixed the crash.

I also made some additions to the WinBoard translation template file, and the Dutch
translation.

Given that so much is wrong already, wouldn't it be better to immediately make a new
developer release / new tar ball with all this fixed?