xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] ideas for theme support

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] ideas for theme support
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:56:25 +0200

At 11:43 12-12-2012 -0800, Arun Persaud wrote:
Hi

just a thought about the theme directory structures... the theme-loader
should support searching several directories, on linux it would be the
installation directory (e.g. /usr/share/xboard/themes or something like
that) and a directory in the user's home directory... I think
~/.local/share/xboard/theme would be a standard directory. For windows
those directories should be adjusted. Would be good, if both programs
can share the same code... any chance on using cairo for windows too? I
guess that would make the windows front end pretty small then too...

anyway, just a thought.

Arun
'
Well, I suppose that when the user obtains an archive with a theme
(a tar ball, most likely), he will have to decide for himself where to unpack it.
(I.e. use sudo and unpack in /usr/share/xboard, or unpack in his own home
sub-tree.) When the filenames in the theme settings are given relative to the
current directory,XBoard would automatically interpret them correctly when
the theme is installed by running XBoard from that directory. There will be an
ini file with settings included in the theme, and by associating its type
(e.g. *.xop) to XBoard, the user just has to double-click the file to start
XBoard on it, in the directory where it is. So it would work automatically
wherever the user installed it.