Re: [XForms] fdesign

From: Bill Unruh
Subject: Re: [XForms] fdesign
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 08:01:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013, Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 06:05:25PM -0700, Bill Unruh wrote:
Does the fdesign lag the library?

Sorry, I don't understand that question.

I meant that options in fdesign do not keep track of the changes in xforms.
Thus fdesign still uses the deprecated "menu" rather than the "nmenu" which
you answered below.

I have found that the "menu" items no longer work in 1.0.93sp1, but the
fdesign does not have the new "nmenu" items but still has the old "menu"
ones. Or do I not understand something (highly possible). I want to use
fdesign to show me how to use the nmenu items, but that seems to be
impossible.

No, there is no misunderstanding on your side. The "old' menu in
pronciple should still work (and continue to work in the forsee-
able furure!). And fdesign lacks support for "nmenu" - adding that
will be a major effort and there were too many other things to do
before that;-) So, except for what seems to be a bug with the
menu object that you have found there's nothing that should you
keep from using "menu" also in the future.

Well, my old program which used "menu" stopped working. There were two
problems when I tried to run my program xsndtest with the new 1.0.93sp1
library.

a) a slider that I had run under the old library stopped generating any
callback and thus the slider stopped working.

Here is the definition in the file generated by fdesign 10 years ago.

  fdui->Freq = obj = fl_add_slider(FL_VERT_NICE_SLIDER,20,110,30,160,"Initial
Freq");
    fl_set_object_resize(obj, FL_RESIZE_NONE);
    fl_set_object_callback(obj,freq,0);
    fl_set_slider_bounds(obj, 9, 0);
    fl_set_slider_value(obj, 0);
    fl_set_slider_size(obj, 0.15);
    fl_set_slider_step(obj, 0.1);
     fl_set_slider_return(obj, FL_RETURN_END_CHANGED);

When I changed the return to
     fl_set_slider_return(obj, FL_RETURN_END);

things started working again. (That was the value that I had in another slider
which continued working so that was why I tried it here).

The second thing was that the menu item stopped working in that when I clicked
on the item that was supposed to display the menu, all I would get would be
the first selection in the list. Here is the menu list and the section defining the item from the .c file
(again generated by the old fdesign)

static FL_PUP_ENTRY fdmenu_SpeedSel_0[] =
{
    /*  itemtext   callback  shortcut   mode */
    { "96000",  0,      "",      FL_PUP_NONE},
    { "48000",  0,      "",      FL_PUP_NONE},
    { "44100",  0,      "",      FL_PUP_NONE},
    {0}
};

  fdui->SpeedSel = obj = fl_add_menu(FL_PULLDOWN_MENU,250,490,50,20,"Speed");
    fl_set_object_boxtype(obj,FL_UP_BOX);
    fl_set_object_resize(obj, FL_RESIZE_NONE);
    fl_set_object_callback(obj,speedsel,0);
    fl_set_menu_entries(obj, fdmenu_SpeedSel_0);

(This was one of two menu items that stopped working properly)

On reading the new documentation, I thought perhaps this was because the
"menu" was now listed as deprecated and I thought that somewhere in the 10
years, it had actually been killed which was why it did not work properly. But
I guess it is a bug.

I do know that a collegue, who created a subtantial program using xforms keeps
the old library on hand to give to anyone that has trouble with his program.
Ie, somewhere along the line, a few things have I guess broken. Unfortunately
or otherwise, in my old age I have come to the realisation that if one does
not bring breakages to the attention of the responsible ( in this case you)
they do not get fixed.

Note that the reason I tried the new libraries, etc was because I finally got
annoyed with the old library's  cursor (positioner-- FL_OVERLAY_POSITIONER)
  destroying graphs by leaving behind
ghost trails all over the graph-- something that IS now fixed. Thanks.

                        Best regards, Jens

UBC, Vancouver,BC  |   Program in Cosmology |     address@hidden