xlog-discussion

Re: [Xlog-discussion] Hold your (xlog-) horses

From: Stephane Fillod
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Hold your (xlog-) horses
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 00:07:55 +0100

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> I will upload version 0.5pre2 in a few days, which will have just one mtype,
> with a string like:
>
> version:1\0program:gmfsk\0date:17 Nov 2001\0time:1200\0call:PA0DIN\0name:din
>
> So field separators will be '\0'.

In the example you gave, don't forget to put a '\0' at the end of the
last field value.
Also, that would be good to agree upon some basic rules,
like a field name connot be longer than 32 or 16 characters,
can contains only chars in [a-zA-Z0-9_], i.e. same rule as symbols
in C language. Field values may be limited to xxx chars,
and overall message length limited to 1KB or 4KB?
Anyway, a list of known field names would help too:

  version       protocol version, integer only
  program       program name sending the message
  date          abreviated date, localized or not?
  time          start time UTC
  endtime       end time UTC (mandatory in France)
  call          call sign
  name          operator's name
  qth           --.- - ....
  mhz           full frequency (if specified, band not required)
  band          band in meter
  mode          two way mode (Question: what about split?)
  tx            his report
  rx            my report
  power         emitted power (mandatory in France)
  notes         whatever
  locator       as used on 6m and up

Do you see any other fields?

Cheers,