ada-mode-users

Re: [Ada-mode-users] comment-indent doesn't work as expected; problem wi

From: SCHOEPFLIN Markus
Subject: Re: [Ada-mode-users] comment-indent doesn't work as expected; problem with wisi-comment-indent?
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 09:24:23 +0000

Resending my reply to the mailing list...

[...]
> > Is this indeed a problem with 'wisi-comment-indent'?
>
> It appears so, yes.
>
> The function `comment-indent-default' does return comment-column, so
> wisi-comment-indent should as well.
>
> I never use 'comment-indent'; I just let 'align' deal with this; that
> adapts better to the code at hand.

 [MAS] I use it a lot as I frequently use 'comment-dwim' which in turn calls
'comment-indent'. I wasn't even aware that 'align' is able to deal with
comments.

> > Moreover, when I insert spaces between the code and the comment, so
> > that the comment starts *after* column 63, and then invoke
> > comment-indent, the comment gets positioned on column 63. I have no
> > idea where that magic number comes from.
>
> When I try this with the comment "-- some comment", the leading '-' is
> put in column 55; the right end is at column 70. I think 70 is the
> default for some fill function?

 [MAS] That explains it then. The right end is put at column 78 for me, which
is the value of my 'fill-column' variable.