[Adonthell-devel] Configuration file support

From: ksterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Configuration file support
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:18:16 +0200

Another 'inspiration':

I don't really like the v0.3 config file stuff any longer. The way the config
file is parsed, with every entry hard-coded, isn't really flexible. What I
think we should have is a configuration parser that simply reads the contents
and allows access to the fields by their name. That way, new fields can be
added to the file without changing the parser.

Moreover, I think we can also write an option dialog that dynamically presents
the contents of the config file. For that, I have the following idea:

* the config file is split into sections (Audio, Video, Gameplay, Controls
...). For each section, the option dialog generates a different page.

* each option will have some meta-information attached, that tells the option
dialog how to present it: as input field, as checkbox or as a slider to chose a
value within a range.

What do you think?

Kai