Re: [Adonthell-devel] Configuration file support

From: Sasha Kushnirenko
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Configuration file support
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:13:37 +0400

Hi,

> > Do I hear 'XML'? ;)
>
> Um :) - even though XML would be nice, it means yet another library we'd
> depend on. OTOH, libxml2 is very portable, and on Linux, most people will
> have installed it anyway. So if you'd say it's okay, then I would gladly
> use libxml for our config files. But I could also live with INI-style
> config files and a parser generated with flex.

XML may be a good choice for anything that is a tree-like structure.
What is bad is that you no longer can edit config file by hand (well you can
but when XML complexity grows it is hard).  I think XML is a way to go,
but some editing tool (preferably simple, perhaps text-based) can be a of
great value to troubleshoot serious misconfigurations when nothing starts,
even nice windows for editing configuration options.

Sasha.