[Adonthell-devel] Back to coding in earnest

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Back to coding in earnest
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 20:30:47 +0200

Vacation is over (unfortunately), but there's still a week before I
have to get back to work. The plan is to spend at least some time of
that on Adonthell. For a start, I did some code changes on the
renderer, again. These fixed walking on the veranda roof, but added
other issues. Especially there are quite a few "deadlocks" now, were
no tile is below all the others and thus rendering is stalled. Since
this situation was hard to debug with the data available so far, I
added code to generate a graph of the render queue (and for now quit
the program). See the output for the current Waste's Edge map
attached.

To my surprise, the only circular references are between two nodes,
meaning the default_renderer::is_object_below() method is not
commutative, which it should be. So here's a lead ...

Each node of the graph contains an objects position and the bbox of
its shape. This is all the data required by the is_object_below()
method, so the next step will be to write test cases for the offending
nodes and debug into the code to see what goes wrong. I'll see how far
I can get with that tonight.

Over the next few days, I'd also like to take a look at the shadow
rendering on the stairs (I know how to fix that in principle) and work
a bit on the widget stuff, specifically adding a graphical border to
widgets and scrolling for containers. Don't think I'll get any further
than that, but next thing would be going back to graphics and
map-making.

I assume everyone else is busy with other more important stuff, but if
not let me know. There's always a way to help :-).

Kai