[Adonthell-devel] Re: To blur or not to blur

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: To blur or not to blur
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:40:13 +0100

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 11:51 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> After spending a while brooding over the code and how to change it, I
> made a start with moving the Gaussian blur for the text backdrop into
> the surface class, so that it would become a functionality available
> for all surfaces.

Finished and checked in. I ended up with using different kernel values
for the color and alpha channels. So for RGB, you get a traditional
gaussian blur that leaves the overall brightness of the image
constant. The alpha channel gets "darkened" (i.e. more opaque), so in
case of the text rendering, you get a visible outline, but not as
extreme as before.

So I hope to move on and continue work on the individual glyph
caching. I'm also still waiting on some opinions for my GUI suggestion
here:

  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/adonthell-artwork/2011-03/msg00001.html

Might spend some more time on that, too, so that I can actually dive
into building the WE remake user interface once the text rendering
optimisation is done.

Kai