[Adonthell-devel] Toggling between window/fullscreen mode

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Toggling between window/fullscreen mode
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:56:13 +0100

Since there had been requests for some smaller tasks, here's another one.

With v0.3, it wasn't possible to switch between fullscreen and
windowed mode from within the game. It's still not possible now, but
it would be a nice thing to have. Even without direct support in the
backend, I would assume it should be possible by shutting down and
re-initialising the gfx module.

That means that all surfaces have to be destroyed and reloaded (since
the surface cache will be recreated too), but I count that as a good
thing, since color depth or format of the screen surface might be
different between fullscreen and window mode.

For the beginning, a simple key combination (Alt+Enter) should suffice
for the toggle, just to see if its feasible. The interface in
gfx::screen will need some changes, perhaps, so that setting size and
actually creating the screen surface are decoupled. Also, scaling
needs to be addressed, as in windowed mode, we're always using maximum
view size, whereas in fullscreen mode, view is sized depending on the
desktop resolution.

Kai