Re: [Adonthell-devel] Mapedit improvements

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Mapedit improvements
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 22:58:27 +0200

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> Some suggestions for improving mapedit usability. Guess I'll want to
> implement at least a few of those in the near future. But if somebody
> else wants to have a go, feel free. [Items of lesser imporance in
> brackets.]
>
> * Allow to set the Z editing position to either the top or bottom of a
> tile already on the map. Probably just a keyboard shortcut, as a
> menu-entry makes little sense as hovering over the desired tile is
> required. But this would make it a lot easier to switch editing of
> different layers. It also makes the next point less important.

Implemented today. Use 't' and 'b' keys to set Z to either top or
bottom of the object currently highlighted.

> * Improve height level filtering. Right now uses the bottom of objects
> to filter them, but with the current approach to walls and floors it
> would be better to use the top of objects to filter them. This would
> allow to filter the walls and still see scenery and characters placed
> on the same level as the walls.

Pretty much impossible, as that influences how render_zones work in
the game. So this needs to stay like it is unless we override the
algorithm used specifically for mapedit.

> Also, I managed to crash mapedit by changing zoom level while being in
> "paint" mode. Luckily I had saved not long before. But I need to
> investigate and fix that too.

Still need to do that and possibly pick some other low hanging fruits
from the list in the previous mail.

Kai