[Adonthell-devel] Loading / Saving

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Loading / Saving
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 22:14:37 +0100

Just pushed some changes that allow to load back a quick-save (created
by pressing F5) with F6. This only works with the test data that comes
with adonthell itself, not with the wastesedge data.

There is one major issue left to track down: if the character is not
on z position 0 while saving, it will not be able to move after

I also have not implemented saving/restoring of any of the audio data.
I'm not quite sure yet how background music and ambient sounds will
actually be set, but I assume it would be event-driven. We might want
to save the background music that is currently playing, but anything
else should be able to trigger again automatically.

I have not yet checked for memory leaks, so loading might currently
leave stuff in memory that needs to be cleaned up. Will probably do
that next.

As loading right now is practically instant, I am not sure if any
progress indicator or other feedback is needed. OTOH, when saving via
F5, some sort of indication might be useful.

I also want to generate a screenshot of the current location when
saving. Since the size of the mapview depends on the users screen
resolution, I intend to use another, fixed-sized view, set it to the
current map location, render it to a surface and save that as png in
the save game directory. A load game GUI can then display that
screenshot again.

GUI for regular loading / saving will come next. Or possibly after the
dialogue GUI.

Kai