[Adonthell-general] Re: [Adonthell-devel] charedit update

From: Andrew Phillips
Subject: [Adonthell-general] Re: [Adonthell-devel] charedit update
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:31:53 -0500

On 7/30/07, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:>
> If we want to have things like elevator platforms (would fit into
> Uzdun'kal, for example) and other moving objects, doing that would
> make sense. The big question is, will that add something to the
> gameplay besides Sokoban and elevators? If we could come up with a
> number of puzzles or situations that would benefit from something like
> that, we should add it to the task list.

Actually, being able to shove and knock enemies backward in combat
could be quite useful. It might be sort of a tangential case, but when
dealing with something like a bull-rush or a knock-back blow, the
target character - monster, npc, or pc - would very briefly behave
more like a movable object than a fully-controlled character. On the
whole, I imagine that being able to move things could be very useful.

Imagine that the PC is moving down the road between one important
place and another - moving from a city that is safe and orderly to one
that is in chaos. The character comes to a roadblock and is presented
with the choice: help the highwaymen who've built the barricade, or
fight them and break the barricade down again so that innocent
travelers can move freely on the road. The need to push the rocks,
logs, and broken carts away from the road (or being able to move the
barricade forward to a better ambush location) could be addressed by
treating them movable map objects. It could also be done by treating
them as items to be picked up in one place and dropped in another, but
the idea of putting a ten-foot log or a broken horse-cart in one's
backpack rather defies credulity.

Andrew