[aspell-devel] Re: Help Save Aspell From being Removed from

From: Laura nmi Michaels
Subject: [aspell-devel] Re: Help Save Aspell From being Removed from
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 18:07:07 -0400

> Andriy Rysin wrote:
> 1. Architecture-dependent dictionaries, I see really no reason in
> making dictionary arch-dependent, and to keep users updated on the
> dictionaries I have to create one for each architecture or let them
> compile it (which for end users is not quite nice).
> 2. No win platform support, it seems that this problem was part of
> why big projects (OOo and FF) went the other way for hunspell.

There's a project called xdxf which is attempting to create a dictionary
interchange format.  It's for more complex dictionary programs like Stardict
which can give definitions and parts of speech usage, etc., but no reason it
can't be used for storing just words as well.  The nice part about the
project is they're attempting to make a universal format that you can
convert dictionaries to and from so they will work with various dictionary
programs.  Again, the problem is no Windows support.  I looked at their
makedict tool and just could not get it to compile on Windows.  It turned
out easier to put information in Babylon format and import with Stardict's
tool to create a dictionary.  Anyway, I thought it was a nice concept to
make good use of xml and be able to convert to whatever format is needed.
Since it's in xml, you can also any xml tools like xmlstarlet.

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/cpp