[aspell-devel] TeX double quotation marks and Italian language.

From: Antonio Ospite
Subject: [aspell-devel] TeX double quotation marks and Italian language.
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 13:01:17 +0200

Hi,

I am using Aspell 0.61-20071105 and I really like the new handling of
TeX escape sequences for accents, thanks.

But a thing I am still missing is proper handling of TeX
representation for double quotation marks, let me be more precise.

TeX/LaTeX uses this convention to escape opening and closing double
quotation marks, two "ASCII backticks" (code 96) for opening double
quotation mark, two "ASCII apostrophe-quotes" (code 39) for closing
double quotation mark:

   ``double quoted senstence''

For the English language, checking "senstence" works fine, but for
Italian language:

   ``frase con vrigolette''

aspell ends up checking "vrigolette'" with a trailing apostrophe,
which is wrong. I suppose that's happen because Italian dictionary
allows words to end with an apostrophe.

What can I/you do to fix this behaviour?
Should it be fixed at filter level, or at dictionary level?

Regards,
   Antonio Ospite