Re: [aspell-devel] TeX double quotation marks and Italian language.

From: Antonio Ospite
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] TeX double quotation marks and Italian language.
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 20:24:52 +0200

On Wed, 21 May 2008 11:23:34 -0600 (MDT)
Kevin Atkinson <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 May 2008, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 19 May 2008, Antonio Ospite wrote:
> >
> >> But a thing I am still missing is proper handling of TeX
> >> representation for double quotation marks, let me be more precise.
> >> aspell ends up checking "vrigolette'" with a trailing apostrophe,
> >> which is wrong. I suppose that's happen because Italian dictionary
> >> allows words to end with an apostrophe.
> >>
> >> What can I/you do to fix this behaviour?
> >> Should it be fixed at filter level, or at dictionary level?
> >
> > Dictionary, see
> > http://aspell.net/0.61/man-html/Words-With-Symbols-in-Them.html:
> >  The case where the symbol can appear at the beginning or end of
> > the word is more difficult to deal with. The symbol may or may not
> > actually be part of the word. Aspell currently handles this case by
> > first trying to spell check the word with the symbol and if that
> > fails, try it without. The problem is, if the word is misspelled,
> > should Aspell assume the symbol belongs with the word or not?
> > Currently Aspell assumes it does, which is not always the correct
> > thing to do.
>
> On second through this can also be fixed on the filter level by
> translating '' to " or just simply skipping over it (ie translate to
> whitespace).

Great! This seems to be way simpler than a dictionary solution, and it
is language independent, too.

Do you think it is worth to translate the whole expression
  ``some text''
  "some text"
in the filter? It looks more robust to me.

Does aspell support regular expressions in filters?

If you don't have time for that can you please give me some hits?
I could _try_ to fix it myself and then supply a patch.

Thanks,
   Antonio Ospite