Re: [Aspell-user] Aspell 0.50.1 on WinXP

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Aspell 0.50.1 on WinXP
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:10:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Francois Boudreau wrote:

> I have only good news too. :) (almost)
>
> Aspell 0.50.1 compiles perfectly on winXP using cygwin. Even with -O3. By
> the way O3 reduced cygaspell-15.dll size from 6 megs to 1 and
> cygaspell-common-0-50-1.dll from 2 to 0.5. That was a shock to me.

>From "-O2" without "-g"?

> The dlls work fine with VC++. I failed to do implicit linking (No .lib,
> tried .dll.a, VC++ complained) but explicit linking worked fine
> (LoadLibrary, GetProcAddress, FreeLibrary).

Ok I'm ignorant as to Windows linking.  What exactly does this mean?  Can
you use Aspell dll using in VC++ compiled programs.  Try compiling the
example programs in VC++ and try linking them with the Cwgwin compiled
dlls to make sure they are now problems.  If that works try a small C++
program.

> Aspell english dictionary seems to be very good. I was impressed to see all
> my favorite philosophers in there, including Zarathustra.

Your welcome.  I spend a rather large amount of effort in them.

> What does maintaining the Win32 binary/library implies?

Mainly providing the binaries and providing minimal support for them.  As
I release new versions of Aspell there are sure to be problems which I
expect you to be able to resolve.

---
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org