[Aspell-user] Windows Reliability

From: Stewart Whiting
Subject: [Aspell-user] Windows Reliability
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:08:49 +0000

Hi,

I have managed to install Aspell, the Aspell English dictionary
(latest versions) and get the PHP module working on my Windows Server
2003 (Standard) machine with IIS6 and PHP4.3.10 (running as
ISAPI)...However Aspell seems really unreliable. One minute it will
work fine, the next it breaks with the error: Warning: PSPELL couldn't
open the dictionary. reason: No word lists can be found for the
language "en". in W:\Webmail\spelling.php on line 2 It will then start
working and then break and so on...

I am using this script for testing:
<?php
$pspell_link = pspell_new("en");

if (pspell_check($pspell_link, "testt")) {
   echo "This is a valid spelling";
} else {
   echo "Sorry, wrong spelling<br />";
   $suggestions = pspell_suggest($pspell_link, "testt");

   foreach ($suggestions as $suggestion) {
       echo "Possible spelling: $suggestion<br />";
   }
}

?>

When I was testing and trying to get it working I used DiskMon
(http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/diskmon.shtml) to view the
IO and it appears the Aspell looks for quite a few files that aren't
there (but appears to find them later in another folder) and does a
bunch of invalid requests to files using "C:\C:\Program
Files\Aspell..." as the path.

Is there any known issues like these with Windows/IIS/PHP4.3.10?

Regards,
Stewart.