AUCTeX and menu bar

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: AUCTeX and menu bar
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 10:47:14 +0200

Hi all,

I discovered that AUCTeX blocks Emacs' menu bar when invoked and
tex-buf.el is not yet loaded.  Steps to reproduce:

1.  Start Emacs and do `toggle-debug-on-error'
2.  Open a .tex file
3.  Move cursor with mouse over the menu bar and select an entry,
    e.g. 'Command'
4.  Result:
    Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable TeX-parse-all-errors)
5.  In that buffer, eval (setq TeX-parse-all-errors t) and the menu bar
    works as expected.

I think the problem is that tex.el uses `TeX-parse-all-errors' in
`TeX-mode-specific-command-menu-entries', but `TeX-parse-all-errors' is
defined in tex-buf.el and tex.el doesn't require tex-buf.el.

I think we should move the definition of `TeX-parse-all-errors' into
tex.el, or do we want to change this comment in tex.el:

    tex-buf.el should remain unloaded as long as one is only editing
    files, so requiring it here would be wrong.

Any comments welcome.

Best, Arash