Re: AUCTeX and menu bar

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: AUCTeX and menu bar
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2021 23:31:01 +0900

Hi Arash,

> 1.  Start Emacs and do `toggle-debug-on-error'
> 2.  Open a .tex file
> 3.  Move cursor with mouse over the menu bar and select an entry,
>     e.g. 'Command'
> 4.  Result:
>     Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable TeX-parse-all-errors)
> 5.  In that buffer, eval (setq TeX-parse-all-errors t) and the menu bar
>     works as expected.

Indeed. After I disabled preview-latex in my init.el and customized
`LaTeX-enable-toolbar' to nil in order to suppress loading tex-buf,
accessing `Command' menu causes that error.

> I think we should move the definition of `TeX-parse-all-errors' into
> tex.el,

I think that's the standard prescription.

> or do we want to change this comment in tex.el:

>     tex-buf.el should remain unloaded as long as one is only editing
>     files, so requiring it here would be wrong.

That would be another reasonable solution, considering that ELPA
installation always enable preview-latex (if I remember correctly) which
in turn loads tex-buf for all LaTeX documents.

So both approaches are fine with me.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita