[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [AUCTeX] Update: Text corruption

From: Axel E. Retif
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Update: Text corruption
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 00:31:49 -0600
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20130106 Thunderbird/17.0.2

Tassilo, David, Marco, Joost,

A brief ---or not so brief--- update, if you allow me, on the text corruption issue.

After doing extensive RAM tests (with memtester and the Windows program for the same) and compiling four times the Linux kernel, without any problem, I decided to change Ubuntu 12.04 for Linux Mint 14 KDE, to rule out the possibility of a Gnome problem.

(I had never used KDE ---but no complains here ---I really like it.)

Also, I started to work with TeXworks (fabulous as they are, I just couldn't work with TeXmaker or Kile ---I recommend them a lot, but they aren't for me).

I didn't see any text corruption with TeXworks, but unfortunately *that doesn't mean it didn't happen*, just that I didn't see it.

But then, on January 4, after waking the machine from sleep, I couldn't open Audacious from Favorites. To make a not so long story short, ``something'' had changed in the file ~/.kde/share/config/kickoffrc (which I didn't even know it existed) /usr/share/applications/audacious.desktop to /.../audacious.desktot <-t instead of p.

As I had done extensive (hours!) disk tests, I decided to order two Kingston memory modules (4GB each).

Since January 9, I'm back working with Emacs/AUCTeX and I'm really, really happy about it!

As I didn't know Git (or any revision control system for that matter) I had to read something first, and now, following Marco's and Joost's advice, since January 18 I have my working TeX and Org directories under Git revision control.

I don't use Emacs with Git ---when I finish working with AUCTeX, I close Emacs and then use gitk with Meld as external editor (for the word wrap) to check the documents I have worked on, before staging and committing them.

Curiously enough, sometimes Meld have shown some text corruption, but reopening the same diff documents with Meld makes the ``corruption'' disappear (and checking with Emacs, TeXworks and Kate show that indeed there wasn't any corruption).

I'm sorry for this long update, but I wanted to keep you informed about this and, above all, to thank you all for your wonderful, kind and very useful help and suggestions!



reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]