[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [AUCTeX] Update: Text corruption

From: Axel E. Retif
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Update: Text corruption
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 03:13:48 -0600
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20130106 Thunderbird/17.0.2


But then, on January 4, after waking the machine from sleep, I couldn't open
Audacious from Favorites. To make a not so long story short, ``something'' had
changed in the file ~/.kde/share/config/kickoffrc (which I didn't even know it
existed) /usr/share/applications/audacious.desktop to /.../audacious.desktot
instead of p.

Again, that matches the pattern David discovered.  A flip in bit 2:

   p = 1110000
   t = 1110100

Indeed. That was the turning point for me ---as I said, I didn't even know the file kickoffrc existed (I had to grep my HOME to find that .desktot), so corruption had happened at disk level ---and, I think, bad sectors are easier to catch with a good program (I used the 3+ hours ``Extended Self-test'' of GSmartControl)--- or at RAM level, which was more likely.

Also, to make shorter my story, I didn't say that I had been having a recurring �%01PARAMETERS=.rm file in root ( / ). Every time I saw it I deleted it (sudo rm ...), and then it latter reappeared. Finally I realized that it was created when the machine went to sleep or when it woke up. I think it might come from instructions in /usr/lib/pm-utils/functions.

Since I changed the memory modules, said file hasn't appeared any more.


Curiously enough, sometimes Meld have shown some text corruption, but
reopening the same diff documents with Meld makes the ``corruption''
disappear (and checking with Emacs, TeXworks and Kate show that indeed
there wasn't any corruption).

Did that happen with the new memory modules, i.e., is the issue still
there, or has it been solved with the new modules?

With the new memory modules, but it has been different. I has happened twice exactly:

The first, instead of the word ``según'' Meld showed in the new version of the file something like ``segÃn'', as if it was mistaken the encoding for that word along, but closing Meld and, without doing anything else, choosing again "External editor" from the gitk interface, didn't show the error again. Anyway, I also checked with Emacs, TeXworks and Kate and there wasn't such corruption.

The second, it showed a $ instead of a space. As I don't use nonstopmode, it was impossible that LaTeX had typeset the file with an opening $ without a corresponding closing $, but I checked anyway and indeed there wasn't such $.

Also, the text corruption that originated this thread didn't go away ---I still have some in an org-mode file that I have kept as a reminder.

Again, thank you very much for your kind help, and I'll keep you informed if something else happens.



reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]