Re: missing bash in /usr/bin seems to cause auctex to break on buffer in

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: missing bash in /usr/bin seems to cause auctex to break on buffer initialization
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 21:59:45 +0200

Hi Tassilo,

Le 26/06/2020 à 21:00, Tassilo Horn a écrit :
jfbu <jfbu@free.fr> writes:

Hi Jean-François,

On trying to open any .tex file I hit against

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Searching for program" "Aucun
fichier ou dossier de ce type" "/usr/bin/bash")
   call-process("/usr/bin/bash" nil t nil "-c" "atril --help")
   apply(call-process "/usr/bin/bash" nil t nil ("-c" "atril --help"))
   process-file("/usr/bin/bash" nil t nil "-c" "atril --help")
   shell-command-to-string("atril --help")
   TeX-view-program-select-evince("mate" "atril")

And indeed I don't have /usr/bin/bash but I see only /bin/bash

This has nothing to do with AUCTeX but it seems that your emacs has a
wrong `shell-file-name'.  The docs state:

shell-file-name is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
Its value is "/usr/bin/fish"
Original value was "/bin/bash"

Documentation:
File name to load inferior shells from.
Initialized from the SHELL environment variable, or to a system-dependent
default if SHELL is unset.  See Info node ‘(elisp)Security Considerations’.

As far as I can see in Emacs's callproc.c, the default value for
`shell-file-name' is the value of the SHELL environment variable or
/bin/sh if SHELL is not set.  So I would conclude that either your SHELL
environment variable is already wrong or that `shell-file-name' is
explicitly set in your ~/.emacs (or somewhere else that gets loaded).

Thanks !

I can confirm `shell-file-name' is nowhere set
explicitly in my .emacs or other loaded files.

I have an ssh (no X-forwarding) access only
which does not connect me to the same set-up
but one with

$ echo $SHELL
/usr/bin/bash

$ which -a bash
/bin/bash
/usr/bin/bash

As I reported however /usr/bin/bash is missing
in my real life environment.

(in the above one I can
only use emacs 23 in non gui mode and it gave

shell-file-name is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is "/usr/bin/bash"
)

I checked I did not set SHELL in any .profile, .bash_profile, .bashrc

I need to confirm when possible physically that your
guess is correct that SHELL is set to /usr/bin/bash
and report to admin if that is the case as this is
clearly a problem if /usr/bin/bash has gone missing

Thanks for great help !

Jean-François